Bringing Nature Back to Architecture
- Provides a fresh perspective and contemporary analysis of the architecture and design of Enrique Browne's practice, with a focus on the South American region/Chile
- Features design innovations, accompanied by rich photography and detailed illustrations
- Shows how today, with transparency and interconnectivity with the environment, the issues of sustainability can drive innovation in the South American region, which encounters specific climatic challenges
- Presents how innovative projects incorporate multiple environmental aspects resulting in a complex, layered response to the challenge of place, form and identity in Chile
- Will appeal to all architects, designers, and educators
This highly anticipated monograph focuses on the architectural output of Enrique Browne, a talented and prolific Chilean architect and co-founder of Browne & Swett Arquitectos, based in Santiago. Over the last 40 years, this South American architect has been trying to reconcile natural and artificial worlds through architecture. They are one indissoluble unity. This book showcases in rich photographic detail how his innovative projects incorporate multiple environmental aspects that result in a complex, layered response to the challenges of place, form and identity in Chile.
Browne's practice has developed architectural designs in a diverse range of scales, with emphasis on sustainability and energy efficiency. This volume delves into Browne's processes, such as developing variations of the "grapevinestructure typology" to create a "double green skin" as a green wall (or roof), to protect dwellings from the region's strong westerly sun; or combining vegetation and its oxygenation benefits with building to counter pollution; or using both artificial and natural light as a material for illuminating spaces or volume. This book also includes commentary on the new zeitgeist surrounding modernity and the impacts of the digital and globalised world on architecture today. Highly regarded, and a prolific writer and designer, Enrique Browne has a unique way of looking at the world. Showcasing the wide range of his design, this title is sure to impress.
- The Images Publishing Group
- 27th Sep 2016
- World excluding Japan and South East Asia
- 235 mm x 235 mm
- 288 Pages
- 300 color