Outdoor Play Spaces for Children
- Introduces advanced design concepts and international standards for playground design
- Comprises detailed content on design procedure, design rules, surface selection and play equipment
- Includes the Public Playground Safety Handbook (United States)
- Showcases the latest designs by an international group of designers and planners
- Projects feature detailed drawings, rich photographic images and illustrative diagrams
- Strong reference for urban planners, landscape designers and educators in the design fields
- Includes projects from Singapore, Australia, Abu Dhabi, the UK, Russia, Sweden, Denmark, Chile, Spain, The Netherlands, France, Canada, Finland, Italy
High-quality, integrated play space design is imperative in helping to attract children and families, and for the playground to become a valued part of the local environment. Good design is a good investment - poor quality or unimaginative spaces will not be attractive to children; the play space may not be valued by the local community and may fall into disuse and disrepair. This detailed book examines key drivers in best play space designs: it investigates the importance of play, preparations and planning, how to develop a strong design brief, good layout, choosing the right equipment materials for the type of space, and how to incorporate the best natural elements into the play space design. This strong reference also describes key design issues, such as boundaries and fencing issues, along with standards for major equipment, including platforms, guardrails and protective barriers. There's also a comprehensive section on hazards and dangers.
The book showcases an international range of projects divided into three major case study themes: play spaces in parks, communities and schools, with each case study illuminated by informative narrative text descriptions, and accompanied by rich, full-colour photography, detailed diagrams and illustrations.
- The Images Publishing Group
- 11th Nov 2015
- World excluding Japan and South East Asia
- 300 mm x 245 mm
- 264 Pages
- 400 color, 50 b&w