Sir Edwin Lutyens
The Arts & Crafts Houses
Log in to add this to your wishlist.
- Chronicles a suite of 45 great country houses by Sir Edwin Lutyens, one of Britain's most renowned and prolific Arts and Crafts master architects
- Celebrates Lutyens's originality by capturing how Lutyens ingeniously blended the style of the Arts and Crafts movement with his own inventive interpretation of the Classical language of architecture
- Provides a fresh interpretation of Lutyens's enduring architectural genius through rigorous research, insightful overviews, valuable narrative details, and comprehensive references
- Brings together a rich, full-colour showcase of 575 all-new current photographs of the houses, inside and outside, along with a superb selection of drawings and floor plans
- Expertly researched and written by architectural writer and practitioner, David Cole, who also authored IMAGES' successful book The Art and Architecture of C.F.A. Voysey ISBN 9781864706048
Full DescriptionSir Edwin Lutyens is widely regarded as one of Britain's greatest architects. In a career of over 50 years, spanning the Victorian, Edwardian and modern eras of architecture, Lutyens was prolific. His work ranged from great country houses, city commercial office buildings, his famous World War I memorials across Europe and Britain, and his magnum opus designs for New Delhi built during the 1920s and 1930s. Despite such diversity of building types across his long career, Lutyens's most celebrated works remain his country houses, which first established his reputation during the 1890s. As Lutyens's practice flourished his work became widely promoted in publications such as Country Life magazine, and his houses, particularly those designed in the vernacular manner, would subsequently give rise to an entire genre of the English country house that became known, as it is to this day, as a 'Lutyens-style' house. Sir Edwin Lutyens: The Arts and Crafts Houses brings together in new, wide-format, full-colour photography a definitive collection of 45 of Lutyens's great Arts and Crafts houses, in which he ingeniously blended the style of the Arts and Crafts movement with his own inventive interpretation of the Classical language of architecture. The book features 575 all-new current photographs of the houses, inside and outside, together with a selection of floor plans of the houses, and a fresh interpretation of Lutyens's enduring architectural genius.
- The Images Publishing Group
- 17th Aug 2020
- World excluding Japan and South East Asia
- 300 mm x 300 mm
- 450 Pages
- 575 color