Design on the High Seas
Setting the Scene for Entertainment Architecture Aboard Cruise Ships
- Over 250 full-colour images of the defining works Joseph Farcus carried out for Carnival Cruise Lines and Costa Cruises, as well as theatres, interiors, and other projects, which have inspired his liner designs
- His works have been described as "floating theatres that travel the high seas"
- Provides an insight into the philosophy driving Farcus' work, setting the scene in his childhood in Miami, with a fascinating look at his promising first sketches and models he made as a boy
- Offers an in-depth account of the cruise ship industry, and how Farcus and Carnival Cruise Lines have worked hand in hand to develop the industry
Design on the High Seas is an autobiographical account of the architectural design work of Joseph Farcus, which charts his career as an architect who eventually found his way into the cruise-ship industry, in the early days of what is now a truly global business in more ways than one. His works reflects a hard-earned disciplined practice that has helped to foster sophisticated designs for the billion-dollar cruise-ship industry. Many of the projects featured in the pages of this book reflect the beautiful ships of Carnival Cruise Lines, the world’s leading cruise-ship company, as well as those of the celebrated Costa Cruises.
The volume combines spectacular full-colour photography, original sketches, and a compelling, first-person narrative to showcase Farcus’s spectacular journey. The author shares anecdotes from his childhood, his university days and his early career, giving an insight into what inspired the architect he was to become – and explaining how the astronomical success of the Carnival Cruise Lines is due in no small way to his product-defining designs. Indeed, millions of passengers have enjoyed memorable and meaningful experiences aboard his works. This is a fascinating and unique account of an architectural designer’s journey, and it will appeal to a broad readership: those who love to sail, those with a passion for boat design, as well as businesspeople of all backgrounds who wish to learn the story behind a leisure industry powerhouse.
- The Images Publishing Group
- 19th Nov 2018
- 205 mm x 280 mm
- 264 Pages
- 350 color
Please log-in or create an account to see your recent items.